jump to navigation

Adventures in Flying September 8, 2007

Posted by flutebrarian in Generalities.

Yesterday was a VERY long day. My trip from San Francisco back to Ohio included 2 layovers which meant 2 connecting flights – or did it?

I got up at 4:00 a.m. in Emeryville but kept reminding myself that it REALLY was 7:00 a.m. back in Ohio so my system wouldn’t be in too much shock. The shuttle bus trip to SFO was uneventful, probably because it was so early in the morning. I got checked in and through security quickly and even was in the concourse before the See’s Chocolates wagon opened for business. It’s a well-known fact that if you go to California, you are not allowed to enter Ohio unless you have See’s Chocolates.

The first leg to Salt Lake City went off without a hitch – smooth and early arrival. I had 2 hours before the flight to Chicago so I went in search of a restaurant to get lunch (at 10:30 a.m.!) I had the world’s best cheeseburger at a brewpub called Squatters . Everything they use is organic and healthy so you don’t have as much guilt from eating a burger. We’ll be back in Salt Lake in November and I look forward to visiting their full service restaurant in downtown.

Back to the saga…

When I arrived at the departing gate, we learned that there would be at least an hour delay due to backed up weather-related traffic at O’Hare. After an hour, we all got on the plane and waited. Then we were asked to taxi out for an opening when we were OK in Chicago. We waited again. The wind direction changed and we had to taxi to the runway at the opposite end of the airport. And we waited. O’Hare closed down again because of thunderstorms. We waited. About 20-30 planes of various sizes took off and landed. And we waited. The flight attendants even served the snacks and beverages – twice!

After about 3-3.5 hours of sitting in the warm, stuffy  plane, we took off – and everyone cheered.

However, I was only to have 45 minutes to get my connection in Chicago. I had little hope of that happening. In fact, the flight to Akron-Canton had been canceled. So, I went to Cleveland (arriving around midnight) and my bag had a free night in Chicago.

This morning, I met my bag at the Akron-Canton Airport and we had a happy reunion. I even got to bring my car home.  What an adventure!

Oh, it’s good to be back in Ohio 🙂


No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: